Solar Power and Energy Storage
Norconsult has extensive expertise in all areas of solar power and supports clients in all phases of BAPV, BIPV and utility- scale PV projects. Our experience and service offer also extends to microgrid and community solar projects. Our goal is to promote and expand the use of solar power in an environmentally friendly and cost-efficient manner.
Norconsult’s solar team has solid and interdisciplinary experience with all aspects of PV systems, whether the projects are small or large, on-grid or off-grid, ground-mounted or roof-mounted. In Norway, most of our projects are related to energy efficient buildings with local solar energy production, whereas our international projects are typically larger solar PV plants for project developers or IPPs.
Norconsult provides expertise as an independent consultant in all phases of solar power projects, from origination through planning and design to contracting, construction and post-construction follow-up. We use industry recognized software such as PVsyst, Helios, Homer Grid and T*Sol, as well as in-house tools for electrical design, financial analysis, portfolio studies, sensitivity analysis etc.
Norconsult also has market leading expertise in assessments of solar resources and climate, ranging from installation of met stations to quality control of data series, TMY creation and performance review. These services are essential to ensure that investment decisions are correct and contracted performance is achieved.
Our services for solar power projects (PV and thermal) include (but is not limited to):
- Project development
- Interdisciplinary coordination
- Suitability assessment and conceptual studies
- Portfolio analysis of existing buildings
- Resource assessment
- Technology review
- System design
- Guiding for architects
- Integration of BIPV in buildings
- Integration with smart-grid, automation systems etc.
- Energy yield estimates
- Cost and profitability assessments
- Assessment, design and optimalisation of battery and thermal energy storage solutions
- Quality control and follow-up of systems in operation
For large scale solar PV plants, our services also include:
- Assessments of extreme weather and climate
- Resource assessments, including development of TMY-files and probability analysis
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- Preliminary and detailed layout and design
- Grid connection, power system analysis and DSO processes
- Environmental impact assessments (EIA)
- Technical due diligence
- Hybrid power plants and optimalisation (PV + hydropower/wind/battery/hydrogen)
- Floating structures
- Marine environment
- Risk assessments and handling
- Project management
- Construction supervision
- Post-construction analys
- Other third-party services
Norconsult also offers services outside the items listed above, for instance market surveys, courses and lectures, development of technical guidelines, analysis and design of off-grid systems and mini grids etc.